Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Some times you just have to "GIVE BACK"

Most of the time,  in our disease of addiction it's "about us".  What we're going through, how bad were hurting; I know these feelings because I had them all the time.  The issue of addiction is very selfish and "self-consuming". We are constantly the center of attention with our families, and or our "normy" friends.  


Once we get on our path to recovery, we need to start thinking of others and giving back. Believe it or not, there are others out there who need our help and it is good for our own recovery to deflect our mind away from the cravings, the hurt, and the self absorption.  Doing some good for someone else just feels good.  It makes me feel as though my addiction, my issues, my problems, can actually help someone else.


It's like the motto we have all heard "pay it forward". In other words, help someone else because someones else helped me before. I know this takes time, for me personally it took many years before I would even care about helping anyone.  It was always about me.  I thought the world evolved around "ME".  Well guess what, It doesn't. 


So, what I am trying to convey to people out there who have been recovering from their addiction. Reach your hand out and help someone else that may be in that same place we were years ago, months ago, days ago. Addicts respond better to someone that has been through the same kind of Hell.  Hopefully to be able to bring them out of the misery and on to the path of salvation and righteousness.  Just to know that possibly, a life was saved.  Then in turn, another, and another. WOW, what a concept.


May God Bless you all in you personal battle in recovery. Remember, you don't have to do it alone! Were here to talk, blog and share.


Michael Angelo







1 comment:

  1. Michael Angelo,

    "Paying it forward" is a good concept that we can apply to so many areas of our lives. I have seen you step out and do just that here on this blog and your words are not un-noticed, your heart for others is obvious. I'm so thankful for people like you who will be honest and not care about being vulnerable by opening up your heart.

    God bless you as you reach out.

    ReplyDelete