Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

The aftermath of recovery

I know that there are a lot of us who got strung-out on all sorts of different substances, ranging from alcohol, marijuana, heroin, cocaine and meth or crack. Prescription pain medication is where I am lead to speak of. Mainly because I've done all the others and for some "idiotic" reason, when I first started taking pain-meds; of course it was Doctor prescribed for a back injury. This made me think that it was okay, never mind that I took it abusively from the get go. If the Doctor said to take 2-4 every 6-8 hours, I would take 6-8 every 2-4 hours, and then repeat. So I think when we get a "Doctors’" prescription we think- hey, it's okay. Well if you thought like me; know you’re screwed or soon will be. The thing about chronic pain and continuing to require pain medications, because some of us will indeed require the need for meds until surgery or some miraculous procedure is done to rectify the damage done to your body, or in this case "my body". We need to take a stand and be our own judge and jury. Do I want to just sit at home in pain and watch the time go by until my next dosage or do I want to become actively involved in my continued recovery, whether it be; therapy, as little as stretching, light exercise, diet and spiritual guidance. The latter is probably the most important. If I am not right with God, I won't get condemned when I take too many pills or miss my stretching time. Our bodies will just deteriorate if we don't keep moving. I do a lot of little things at home that are very hard for me. I walk and care for my dogs, I vacuum, clean, even showering and doing the bare minimum seems hard on bad days, but I do it, and God loves me for that. God loves us people, so much that he doesn't want us to be invalids. Were no good to anyone when were catatonic. I still want to bless people today as I have been blessed. I don't have much, the bare minimum it seems, but I do have that - and for that I am grateful. I pray your life after recovery can be blessed by the bare minimum. This way we can really appreciate the blessings when they come. Michael Angelo

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Michael. I was touched by your honesty and your ability to express yourself so truthfully and eloquently. You seem to have lots of experience and should think about counseling others for a living like you do on my blog. God bless you brother as you strive to walk out your salvation. I heard something amazing at this new church I attended Sunday. Pastor Dave said that Jesus is our healer, NOT our faith. Isn't that a relief? No matter how much my faith lacks, my healing has nothing to do with me. Thank God! Jesus healed in the New Testament church to bring attention to Himself and He still does this today! Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete