Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

The feeling after

I know things have gone wrong when I've been on a 3-day bender "binge"and my bank account is bone-dry, my wife can't take it anymore, she's already threatening to leave.  We were all supposed to go to a "memorial day" family celebration. I know no-one wants to go with me after what I've done "once again", my wife has already told the kids that their Daddy is sick.  But all I can think of is going to that party because there's booze there, and maybe some ones got a little something extra to make me feel better. 


I go ahead and go by myself, why not, I'm an addict. Then to make matters worse - after I've had a few, I start telling everyone what a terrible wife I have "that's why she's not there" thus driving a deeper wedge into the marriage. Why do I do this?  To make myself look better to others, then maybe people will even "console me".  But they'll  find out the truth, soon enough. Women have a network that travels at high speed.


This is just one little story of what I used to do. There's a lot of us out there whom I know can relate to this little story of despair. 
Reach out to others, cry out to God if you have to, do something to change this torturous journey. "The first step in any journey begins with a single step". It's the same for recovery. The first step is admitting there is a problem. 


Take that first step today.


Thank you, Michael Angelo



No comments:

Post a Comment