Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day Weekend

I have a question for all you recovering addicts out there. Is it a good idea to have a beer once a week? How about a few beers one day a week?  I thought that if you were an addict, you are not supposed to drink at all??  Father's Day weekend, I was with my family and there were three men that are supposed to be recovering addicts but they had a beer(s).  I felt like it was wrong but I don't run their program. It's not my job to be their sponsor, or their conscience.  I feel like some people who are addicted to pills maybe can have a beer once a week and it won't affect their sobriety. I know some people who are recovering will not agree with this because more than likely, once you start with a beer, you go to the next thing.  I have watched these men handle their drinking but I do feel it affects other things like attitude, health, and driving ability.  I guess time will tell the real true answer to my question but if it were me, I don't think I would risk it. Then there's the other question, if you know someone is a recovering alcoholic or drug user, do you drink in front of them?  I think it's best not to tempt them.  Will God hold us accountable for making our neighbor fall?  Yes, He will!  We are our brother's keeper. Or are we? 

1 comment:

  1. These are valid questions from a "Normy" who is anyone else other that an addict or alcoholic. There are programs out there for people that concern themselves a little too much about "other" addicts or alcoholics. They are called co-dependent. They mean well, because they always want to fix everything. These people should go to "Alanon" or other types of recovery programs such as "CR" celebrate recovery.

    I know drinking a beer 3-4 time a year isn't anything to be concerned with, but for a recovering addict/alcoholic perhaps it should raise concern. That's a tough one. I know the only one I can truly be accountable for is myself. I know my own limits, tolerances, demons and weaknesses. "NO-ONE" else need know or be concerned. In other words, "it's NOT your problem" that comes directly from AA, CR, recovery programs, Sponsors, Psychiatrists, all of them would agree. "It's not your problem"

    As far as drinking in front of a someone who's recovering, I wouldn't be concerned. The thing to do would be to let that person know that there will be drinking or drinks will be ordered, will that bother you? If they feel it would then the addict/ alcoholic, or recovering person should not go. But Normie's should not alter their lives because "we" have problems. They get tempted weather it's in front of them or not.

    I hope this helped. I know I feel better.

    ReplyDelete